Monday, November 14, 2011

Fall Back! Time is Money

When I was in high school, the proprietor of the bookstore, Brother Eugene, prominently displayed a clock inscribed with these words: "TIME IS MONEY".
Brother Eugene taught me many things, not least of which was the lesson of "TIME IS MONEY". He also taught me the extremely important life skills of how to organize and prioritize my time.
Gentle Reader, this life is s-h-o-r-t. I have been acutely aware of this fact as long as my memory.
I entered a profession where my value was billed by the MINUTE. This billing practice simply added to my respect of time. 
It prompted me to wonder why many artists do not price their time when it comes to selling their work.
I have learned that TIME IS MONEY should really be written:
TIME IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN MONEY.
Any person who has suffered loss can attest to this truth, be it loss of a loved one, loss of youth, loss of health, loss of money, loss of practically anything. Physical loss may be felt more acutely later in life when one realizes that death is closer than birth.
Given that our time in this life is limited, why is it then, that no person is immune to the luxury of wasting time with anger, regret, fear, depression, envy ______________ fill in the blank? 
I console myself with the fact that at least I have become aware my own wasteful foolishness. I took time for granted and it taught me an unforgettable lesson.
I have a lifelong friend who is suffering from ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease. ALS is a disabling condition that no amount of money can remedy, cure, fix, resolve or ease. Bedridden for about two years now, my dear friend is positive and optimistic, despite his non-ambulatory condition and attendant suffering.
What is time like for him?
A clue can be had by the parting words that he spoke to me at the end of our last visit:
"There is never enough time"
Truer words were never spoken.
TIME IS WORTH MORE THAN MONEY

 Image courtesy of Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment