Sunday, July 3, 2011

The First Time I Saw an Angel

My family was fortunate to have an acre of land to roam around, so my siblings and pets had plenty of room. It seemed the best of both worlds - a beautiful house, built from field stone that originated at the Abbey of St. Meinrad, plunked on this pastoral acreage amidst a city of about 160,000.

When I was in the 3rd grade, I had a German Shepherd pup named Wolf. One night, in the middle of a deep sleep (I was 8 - no insomnia at that age, instead I had somnambulism), I woke up to see a filmy white figure standing at the foot of my bed! The figure appeared to be male and it had 'arms' crossed in front of its chest with palm fronds instead of hands.

It communicated this message: "Some one is going to die".

I was so frightened that I dove under the covers and peeked to see if my ghostly friend was still apparent. He had vanished as quickly as he appeared.

The next morning, I told my Mom, who reasoned that it was a dream.

I insisted that it was not a dream! I saw it! It 'spoke' to me!

I dressed in my parochial uniform and went outside to be driven to school. As was my custom, I went to pet Wolfie goodbye, but he ran from me. 

Something was wrong! Wolf was foaming at the mouth and frantically running around that acreage.

I was distraught. For a Catholic kid, this warranted a visit to the parish Priest.

The Priest also pooed-pooed my vision and message.

When I returned home from school that day, my dog had died at the back of our house. Poor animal suffered a horrific death from strychnine poisoning.

For many years, I did not tell anyone about my visitation. I was so scared that the visitations ceased. Later in life, they returned in various forms....and they are always a warning of impending death.

Why me?

Azrael, the Angel of Death
Image Courtesy of Wikipedia

3 comments:

  1. Why you?
    I don't know the answer to that question.
    But, if were to guess, the angel chose to communicate with you, because you love your animals so much, and because they did not want you to be distraught having been caught complete off-guard.

    But, this is my interpretation and only mine.

    You love your animals more than anyone else that I know. So, keep on lovin'! When the higher Powers closes one door, they make sure that another is opened.

    Peace & Love,
    Chandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Chandra,
    Thank you for taking the time to read this post and post a comment.
    I have also received messages from birds regarding impending deaths of humans.
    Perhaps St. Francis of Assisi works with me.
    Gratitude,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete