Saturday, April 17, 2010

Camelot and May

Where has the time gone since we marked our calendars January 1, 2010?  
The concept of time is so odd and puzzling to me. 
Even stranger is how time seems to "fly by" or "drag".
May, a rather infamous month,  noted for frolic, frivolity and more than a few "spring flings" is fast approaching. 
Did you know that it is considered 'bad luck' to wed in the month of May? This is primarily attributed to all the merriment accompanying the 'spring fever' of lusty May. This is one of the reasons there is a predominance of June weddings.
This is all true, Innocent Ones.
I vividly recall a catchy tune from Lerner's Broadway musical, "Camelot". An ode devoted to Guenevere's  extramarital attraction to Lancelot, the song is so aptly titled "The Lusty Month of May".


I played my parent's album hundreds of times! I really enjoyed Julie Andrews as Queen Guenevere. Robert Goulet was a swashbuckling Lancelot. Richard Burton was the regal King Arthur. Roddy McDowall played an impish Merlyn.  My absolute favorite character was Morgan Le Fey, played by M'el Dowd.
And then, there are these unforgettable lines....

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot,
For one brief, shining moment
That was known as Camelot.

Those were magickal days!
Is it a coincidence that President John Kennedy ("Camelot" days of The White House) was a classmate of Lerner's at Harvard?
Do you remember Camelot?
In Love, Truth and Beauty....
1960 Album Cover Image Courtesy of Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. LOL - I watched Excalibur the other night & was thinking I need to put Camelot on my Netflix instant queue. I do have a soft spot for Launcelot.

    Have you ever seen Perceval le Gallois?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen Perceval le Gallois.
    The title is lyrical!
    Do you suggest it?

    ReplyDelete