Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Is a recession a stop on the way....

to depression town? If so, is there medication for a 'recession'? Or is an 'intervention' or 'talk therapy' in order? As goes this great country, so go I ... or, so it seems.
Yesterday, I had some work sent back from a gallery owner (whose identity shall remain anonymous for the purposes of this discourse. Hereinafter, this person shall be referred to as "Nameless").
I will be the first to admit my personal flaws and character defects. Trust me, I know myself better than anyone currently living on the planet. Here is a mere start of some of my shameful admissions: I can be proud, vain and I do not like rejection. Oh - I also have committed every one of the seven deadly sins.
All in one day.
Thank you very much.
What is astonishing to me is that the work that was 'rejected' is the best of the bunch. Nameless mailed back work that contains genuine, semi-precious stones (and lots of them, Baby!) that are intrinsically worth more than the retail prices I imposed for a quick sale!!! Nameless retained pieces that were - shall I say - not "my best".
This is sufficient reason for me to complain that gallery owners and other types of merchants know their inventory. Nameless claims to know the clientele, but she does not give them much credit in the knowledge department.
Now, I can get a complex - or I can increase the prices of that work to its real value .... and I wager all will then sell.
Moral of this story: ONE MUST KNOW AND VALUE THEIR OWN SELF-WORTH.
I still do not understand the mindset of work that is simply overpriced deemed by many to be 'better'. That may have been true a few decades ago (especially for quality electronics), but in these times? Please. I cannot compete with trinkets made in other parts of the world and sold inexpensively here.
What is a misunderstood, self-respecting metalsmith to do? The answer is obvious - increase prices and quit being Ms. Nice Person to give others a break at this holiday season at my own expense. I need to give myself a break!
Now - about this "recession"....

Above is one of my favorite pieces. Not one of the most complex, or labor-intensive, but still a perennial favorite. It is a fabricated construction of sterling, patinaed brass (you know I love 'dirty metal'), married mixed metals and a cabochon garnet, bezel-set atop a dome of hollow, oxidized sterling silver. The fibula construction is a pin that was favored by the Celts and the Romans. I love to make fibulas....interesting visual geometry and the all-in-one pin is quite functional.

3 comments:

  1. Teresa, I would love to have this exquisite pin/ It is so modern and upbeat. The work that you have put into it is evident. It is a true masterpiece. Let me know the price and shipping and I will get it...L, me

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is kind of you - and thank you for your interest. Ironically, I gave this pin to Jamie some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right when you say that the lesson of the day was one of Self-worth. I'm finding more and more, as we grow, the importance of serving Self first. No, not from a "selfish" stand point, but from love. For as we grow to love ourselves first, we can better grow into loving others unconditionally. You go sister.
    Much love and light

    ReplyDelete